Monday, September 05, 2005

Ponsonby to Karekare

Had a fab weekend despite feeling rubbish on Friday night because BF had actually gone to the pub after work (good for him) and poor old me, who had been looking forward to a night out had to sit in by myself until he decided to come back! Boo hoo! I was feeling very sorry for myself as I'd been in the apartment all day (lets face it, all week) painting and designing and I really needed to get out finally! So I sulked and broke my one cig a day rule early (it doesn't apply at weekends!) and smoked lots of cigarettes on the balcony. Pathetic huh!

I finally forgave the errant BF when he got back - how dare he have a life without me! - and we went into Ponsonby (like Clapham South to London - bit poncey (haha), bit arty, bit cool when not up it's own posterior and obviously where we want to live when we get round to moving out of town) for dinner. We wandered up and down Ponsonby Road for a bit before deciding to forgo the bigger busier places and opted for a cute little bar/eatery called Ease instead. It was very cosy with nice booth style seating, a very reasonably priced menu and the DJ was playing funky tunes. The decor was great too with funky lampshades, and cool artwork adorning the walls. Despite being cheap our meals were delicious, nicely presented and not too much; I like to get value for money but sometimes feel put off by the huge plates of food served in some other P-road eateries and then feel guilty for not being able to eat it all, so this was a pleasant change.

We headed to The Whiskey Bar after for more wine and then down to the College Hill end of P-Road to the Ponsonby Belgian Beer Cafe (which is actually a pub) where I asked for an orange juice, knew I should have an orange juice yet somehow ended up having two glasses of Hoegarden - sigh - how does that happen! When they decided to close up, we caught a cab homewards but as the cabbie went up the wrong road and we had to walk past Brooklyn Bar, we decided to pop in for another beer! Suckers! It was a lot busier than normal and the music was good but we'd already had our fill and ended up leaving most of our beers which tasted rotten after wine & white Belgian beer - ugh!

We left after 20 mins, stumbled up the road, up the stairs and in the door, home - a good night that I actually managed to remember most of the next day! I've been worrying that my memory is getting really bad. It's never been good, but lately, I can hardly remember what I did from one day to the next - sounds funny, but can be a bit scary at times! Gotta cut back on the booze and fill up on exercise me thinks.

Sunday, our new friends Loz & Miriam picked us up and we headed out of town on a road trip - sometimes cars are good. Had lovely day on gorgeous KareKare beach in Waitakere with magical sparkly black volcanic sand (Xena Warrior Princess and Jane Campion's The Piano were shot here fact fans) and lunch at Piha.

The weather was perfect and we had a lot of fun swimming (not me obviously - had no costume or reasonable body to put inside one), taking pics of the beautiful sunlit ocean and hunting out crabs & starfish - yummy!

Headed back citywards and stopped in Mission bay for couple drinks, The Viaduct for another, and cool Asian food hall on Queens for huge cheap meal! Sooo stuffed and once again bit beered up - how'd that happen!

.......and so on and so on

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

smile, grin life is only as bad or as good as you can make it, keep out of positions that make you uncomfortabel, or unstable. Love yourself, or NO one else will. I had to learn the hard way. Be well babe. -Allen (Brown Inc.)

3:32 pm  
Blogger Woowar said...

smile and the whole world smiles with you :) loving ya work

5:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home